Monday, 11 March 2019
Sunday, 6 January 2019
Thursday, 20 December 2018
Sunday, 21 October 2018
Saturday, 30 June 2018
There's not many words to explain the array of emotions that Florence Welch can make me feel, let alone somehow write a review for her new album, high As Hope, that came out on Friday,so this should definitely be an interesting one.
Florence Welch or better known as Florence and the machine have been a BIG old part of my life, since i first heard kiss with a fist, in possibly the most iconic film of all time (wild child) and from then on i have been utterly obsessed, and High As Hope just reminds me of why, I adore her as much as I do.
Not many artists can make me feel the things that Florence can make me feel, I mean nine times out of ten,her words get me right where I don't want them too, and I'm a big old sobbing mess,she is a true poet and wordsmith, any song of hers can make me pin point a certain point in my life, she makes me feel what she feels, she can make me feel nostalgic for things that haven't even happened yet, there's something about her that I've never been able to pinpoint about her, which is probably why two minutes into the new album I was already a mess.
Not that I needed reminding but this album just redefines my absolute admiration and love for Florence, it reminds me of the first time that I listened to Lungs the whole way though and was so emotionally drained' that I couldn't listen to it for at least three months, I mean it was obvious when she released Hunger and i watched her performance, at the biggest weekend in Swansea, that this album would be one of her best, and that it would make me a big old emotional wreck,but then again she could sing a cover of twinkle twinkle little star, and it would make me sob, plus for the first time in a long time, there's not really one song on this album that i don't like, but I mean again Florence makes it impossible to not like any of her work.
Of course like any album there's songs that stick out to me more than others, but in every song there's a beat, or a lyric,or a verse that stick outs to me,and I have to stop and listen again, because how can one person make me feel so many things? Florence has always been amazing at being able to take her audience on a journey, with her music and you can really feel it with this album, but especially on tracks like Grace (my personal favourite) South London Forever,100 years and The End of Love. There's something about Grace that I haven't been able to pin point since I heard it, but it really hits me in places I did not want to be hit,for example these lyrics from the first verse proper got me "I'm sorry I ruined your birthday, guess I could go back to university, try and make my mother proud" HIT ME WHERE I SHOULD NOT BE HIT.
South London Forever makes me feel nostalgic for a time I wasn't even apart of, but i know i want to go back to holding hands with someone that i just met high on e, outside the joiners arm's. And here's something I thought i would never say but it makes me want to go back to when I was sixteen and i did all the things you aren't meant to be doing, it makes me want to relive the best and worst time of my life,it makes me nostalgic for a time i thought I would never miss. Again with 100 years it makes me feel about a hundred things in four minutes, and the fact she uses the same metaphor that she uses in "Hardest of hearts" ( we don't care if it hurts when we're holding too hurt) again makes me a emotional wreck.
Just like every other love song that Florence has wrote the end of love has managed to break, and fix in my own heart in a small amount of time, the end of love has the same sentiment as hunger, which probably explains why when the first time i heard it, i had to stop for a minute and take it in, if the calming piano doesn't make you love this song then Florence's words,will definitely make you want to curl up into a ball and cry for a bit,just like with the way Grace makes me feel, The End Of Love, takes me too places that i haven't thought was possible for a long old time.
The last song on the album No Choir,again is a song that shouldn't make me feel the things that it does, but hey i am sat in my garden watching the sunset, feeling calmer than I've ever felt, even though everything that's happening around me suggests otherwise. The opening verse is enough to make anyone feel everything "and its hard to write about being happy cause the older i get, I find that happiness is an extremely uneventful subject". Which again is something that has hit me right in my heart, in fact everything she's saying in this track, relates to not only me but pretty much a whole generation ,its also impossible not to do an "oh fuck' when she sings "and if tomorrow its all over, at least we had it for a moment, oh darling things seem so unstable, but for a moment we were able to be still".
Overall the album has been out two days now and its taken me on a whirlwind of emotions already,which is what I kind of expected, because like I said before Florence has that odd affect on me,an effect where she can make me cry at any given moment, so god knows what I'm going to be like when I see her in November.
Let me know your thoughts in the album over on twitter @gothicpeachh
Friday, 11 May 2018
Not really sure what to say about this album, but all I know is I've got some things to say, some of them good some of them not so good.
First of all let's just start off by saying, we all know i adore arctic monkeys,and have done for a ridiculous amount of years (13 years to be precise) and again I'm all for artists,progressing and exploring different paths,and getting better at what they do, like look at Kendrick for example as he ever made a bad album? The answer is no.
But honestly this album is just a bit dare i say it shit. I'm not denying that its definitely umm interesting and I'm intrigued none the less, but its just a bit shit,and I'm kind of really sad about it, wow never thought those words would come out of my mouth when talking about an arctic monkeys album, first time for everything hey?
Again let me just say, that the music is so incredible,and gives me a proper heavy melancholy summer vibe which I love, and of course the majority of the lyrics are also incredible,because like i have said on many occasions, Alex turner is one talented musician,(hitchhiking with a monogrammed suitcase,miles away from any half-useful imaginary highway FUCKING GENIUS LYRICS SERIOUSLY) but unlike all of their other albums, the music and the lyrics don't add up like they usually do,and I can't work out why, is it because it feels like a five year long follow up of AM?, you can't deny there are massive similarities,between the both of them, like as anyone noticed that the ultracheese is just a bit of a ballad version of number 1 party anthem?
Although not all my opinions on this album are negative or ones of disappointment,I have got some good things to say for once, I know can you believe it? Star Treatment is one of the best songs I've heard in a while, I mean sure it took me about five listens to get over the horrific fucking reverb on it,but it is one of the best songs to open an album with maybe ever, it sets the tone for the whole album,and sets your expectations so high for said album,hence why I was a tiny bit disappointed when I heard the next song One Point Perspective.
Again the music and the lyrics are there and are so so good, but they don't add up, and make something that it should be, in fact the whole album is like this nothing adds up like it should do, nothing really flows, but this might be deliberate, maybe this is what they've taken five years to come up with, can you tell I'm really annoyed that its been five years since they last album and this is what we have been given or?
Maybe I'm so disappointed with the album, because five years ago I was obsessed with them, and when i mean obsessed i mean OBSESSED, and i wanted this album to give me that feeling of being fifteen again and the only two things i cared about was Matt Helders and what park was me and all my mates going to drink cider in that day? (As I wrote this i realised i sounded like one of the members of dark fruits indie society fucking sick)
The two songs that stick out to me the most purely because they're the biggest load of dog shit I've heard since Kanye West rapped poopy-di scoop, scoop diddy whoop are American sports and Tranquillity Base Hotel & Casino, but then again Golden Trunks is questionable as well. For the first time in what feels like well maybe ever, when listening to this album I'm waiting for the good stuff to happen, and that's what disappoints me the most with this album, I've never ever waited for the good arctic monkeys tracks to happen on an album, because all of them are incredible in different ways, and mean different things to me, but I still have hope that this album will grow on me, and that in two months time it will be the only thing I listen to, and that weird ass obsession I had will rear its ugly head again, but honestly it doesn't feel like it, I think its happened , i no longer care about arctic monkeys.
Libs gives this album a solid four Alex turner's out of ten
The okay songs on the album, star treatment, four out of five, the ultrachesse, she looks like fun and bat phone.
Let me know your thoughts on twitter at @gothicpeachh
Thursday, 5 April 2018
In honor of the impending day of doom, that is fast approaching (the day of my birth), i thought i would write a little something about the things, I've learned in the twenty years that i have somehow managed to stay on this tiny fucked up planet. I'm aware its not a lot, and i still have a whole LOT to learn and at some point, i have to become an actual functionally adult (terrifying i know, these are also some rules i feel that i need to live by.
1. Listen libs, you are never really going to grow up, and you are fucking insane, but that's a good thing, well sometimes anyway.
2. Your never going to stop having a weird obsession,with The Simpsons its been your favourite programme for 15 years.
3. Amazingly the most unlikely of people, are the most supportive stop backing away from it.
4. stop telling yourself, you don't need help,or anyone because you do libs, adulthood is LONELY
5. It's okay to say no to people if it's making your mental health/physical health worse.
6. Your always going to suffer from mental health problems, but that's okay, it's okay to be sad sometimes, wallow in self pity, for a bit stop beating yourself up over it.
7. For the love of god Libby, stop being so hard, on yourself because other people don't believe in you, believe in yourself girl, you CAN do it, and you WILL!!
8. Stop trying to run away from everything that scares you, which is basically everything, no moving to New York, and changing your identity, no it won't probably solve everything, but still it might try it you never know.
9. Again you are one of the weirdest people in the world, you think your the funniest person ever (because i am obviously.)
10. Just because all of your past relationships, have been a pile of toxic shit doesn't mean their have to be in the future, stop pressuring yourself to move on and find someone because your terrified that one day, your gonna wake up aged 32 and be ALONE (basically you aren't gonna be Bridget Jones, or you might be who knows fuck it you will be fine.)
11. As cringe as this sounds,and i know you've rolled your eyes so far into the back of your head, you do need to care about yourself more like HONESTLY SELF CARE GIRL. You wanna go to Paris for a couple of days by yourself? Then go it's okay to enjoy your own company.
12. You don't have the parents in the world, one of them is worse than the other but they're both as equally as bad, as each other, but hey that's okay you can't make them into people their never will be, you know their try, their best in their own little fucked up way.
13. PLEASE start doing more things for you, even if it's the tiniest thing, you are important despite what you seem to tell yourself every day.
14. STOP CARING SO MUCH ABOUT OTHER PEOPLES,FEELINGS AND OPINIONS, PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING, TO PUT YOU DOWN, AND YOU'VE ALREADY HAD ENOUGH EMOTIONAL DAMAGE TO LAST YOU A LIFE TIME.
15. Oddly you are one of the most caring, and loyal people ever, you will do anything for anyone at the drop of a hat, and sometimes you need to not be that way, because people don't seem to appreciate you, until they want something.
16. It is okay to cut people out of your life, that don't contribute anything to your life, stop running back and feeling guilty, closure is overrated.
17.You dwell on the past too much, and think about the future, a whole lot more than you should, stop doing that and start actually living in the moment.
18. One day you will finish that book/screenplay/sitcom, and you will get to that place you want to get to, please stop rushing things.
19. I promise you one day, you will get out of the place you call home, and it will be the best thing you ever do and i know your scared, but you will be FINE.
20. Please, please,please remember that you are enough. You area 10/10 person on most days anyway,stop damping your worth because of other people's opinions,about you and how you should live your life, it is your life and their aren't happy with the way of their life, so they take it out on you. THIS ISN'T YOUR FAULT YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!