Kasabian Review (December 2014)

Kasabian review

Brixton academy has always been an iconic venue, many talented and brilliant people and bands have played there over the years but one band in particular that stood out to me, when announcing they would play five nights at the iconic venue in December of last year, were no other than Leicester’s very own Kasabian.Now after missing Kasabian in the summer of last year at their biggest show yet to date at the biggest festival in the UK Glastonbury, I knew I had to see them play at one of my favorite venues of all time.

So on the 6th of December 2014 I made my way to Brixton academy the last night of the five nights before kasabain carried on with their arena tour with my mum and my uncle, Kasabian have always been one of them bands that I felt like I had to see, and I heard some amazing things about their shows especially the past four nights at Brixton academy, and as I got closer and closer to the academy I could feel the energy and excitement building up inside me.

As soon as I got into the venue I ran straight to the standing arena I could hear the music over the speakers and I could see people on stage setting up for Kasabain’s support act throughout the tour “The Maccabees, if I’m honest I’ve never really been a fan of the Maccabees although toothpaste kisses from their first album "colour it in", has always been a favorite song of mine, and I have to say I was extremely impressed by their performance, although it didn’t feel like I was waiting for Kasabian, I felt like I was waiting for Mumford’s and Sons to appear on stage.

 And within 10 minutes of the Maccabee’s leaving the stage the chanting of “we want Kasbian”began and then came the backdrop with the classic style of Kasabian’s number 1 album “48.13”with the countdown until they the madness was about to kick off, now me being me I felt like I had to know the setlist and my expectations were met when I heard the start of the album intro “Shiva” and the show kicked off with bumblebee, as soon as the intro started I knew I was in for the maddest experience ever, Kasabian have a magical feel about them that makes you feel so connected to them and everyone in the audience with you.

Three songs in and I was sweating already in fact I think everyone around me felt the same way, Kasabian know how to draw a crowd in so easily and how to get a crowd going and when lead singer Tom meighan told Brixton academy before the intro of underdog began to play  “that you all look fucking beautiful tonight and this one is for you “I cant help but think he meant that but then again he had played four nights before at the same venue and I’m better sure he said that to everyone that walked though them doors.

The whole show was utter brilliant and absolute madness at one point I had footballer Peter Crouch crowd surfing over my head as club foot was playing, The highlights of the night for me personally would be when Tom, Chris and Ian left the stage and just left Tom’s right hand man on stage with just one spotlight and his guitar he began to play one of my favorite’s from their new album 48:13 “bow” followed by a cover of crazy by gnarls Barkley which lead into the classic song “take aim “from their third album West Ryder Sliver bullet.

 The show was coming to an end and I could already feel the nostalgia kicking in, but I quickly snapped out of it when I heard the intro to the classic song “Vlad the impaler”and within minutes I was standing outside the academy thinking “how is it over already”? .

Overall Kasabian most definitely live up to their name of “best live band “, and having said that it goes on my list of one of the best gig’s that I’ve ever experienced the atmosphere and their performance is absolutely incredible, so if kasabian are touring near you anytime soon I suggest you go and see them and you will not regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

I Re-watched Fleabag and now I cant stop crying