The Cribs Review

‘The Cribs’, an indie-pop trio originating from Wakefield in the heart of the North of England, and one of my favorite bands, released their sixth studio album, ‘For All My Sisters’ this week.

After discovering The Cribs through their smash hit "Mirror Kissers" almost three years ago, I didn’t know what to expect from this album, I knew it wouldn't be like the 2007 classic, ‘Men’s Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever’, or their most recent album ‘In the Belly of the Brazen Bull’ (2012). However ‘For All My Sisters’ is potentially one of the best releases I've heard this year, or dare I say it, the best Cribs’ album yet.   

After finding out via the wonderful app that is ‘Spotify’ that The Cribs would be playing ‘New Slang’, a small club in Kingston, on Thursday 26th of March I knew I just had to see them play live again. I’d been reading a lot of positive reviews about their recent gigs promoting the new album, I didn't really know what to expect, but just like this new album I wasn’t properly prepared for the atmosphere I was confronted with when the three brothers clambered onto the stage, a small intimate performance with the spirit of that of a band playing the Main Stage at Reading & Leeds.

Ever since the album’s release on Monday it’s been on a continuous loop, so hearing the majority of their new material live was a special experience for me. The set list was a mixture of their loved old classics like; ‘Hey Scenesters!’, ’Come On, Be A No One’, and of course everyone's favourite ‘Men's Needs’. Decorated with new songs like ‘Different Angle’ and ‘Burning For No One’ But the song I was most looking forward to hearing was the final song on the album, track 12, ‘Pink Snow’. Ever since I heard the opening first plucks of the 7 minute 13 second piece of pure magic, I knew it was going to be such a brilliant song. You can imagine how excited one would be upon hearing the slow paced introduction and knowing what was coming. The only issue with this gig was the short set, justified because in an hour and a half they would be playing to a another set of people, and a group of fans who some how thought they were at a Chelsea vs Manchester United match rather than a Cribs’ gig. Would it really be a Cribs’ gig without the rowdy fans?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

I Re-watched Fleabag and now I cant stop crying