Why Whatever People Say I Am That's What Im Not is so important even ten years later.



Ten years ago on this day Arctic Monkeys released they debut album, Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m Not, and even now ten whole years later its still one of the most important debut albums ever released, personally this album was a bit of a turning point for me even at the mere age of seven I was memorised by these four lads from High Green in Sheffield singing about someone looking good on the dancefloor and how I shouldn’t believe the hype,I knew that one day this album would mean a lot to me and to be fair I wasn’t wrong. 

Even though 2013/2014 was the two year period that my Arctic Monkeys phrase really hit its peak (I’m so sorry if you knew me during this time it was an ugly phrase) this album still really means a lot to me and I kind of feelike it will always have a rather big place in my heart and I’m sure that this album means the same too for a lot of people. In a way this album was the album that started to build a generation, the generation that didn’t really give a fuck about anything or anyone, the generation like Alex sings about in from The Ritz To The Rubble and Still Take You Home the generation that just wanted to go out and have a good time I feel like this album was and still is the soundtrack to that night out. Oh and not to mention the fact that it was the fastest selling debut in British music history.

So what is it about this album that makes it so rememberable? Is it the words that word smith Alex Turner sings in this strong Sheffield accent, or is it because it reminds a generation of 26 to 30 year Old’s of the things they were doing at the time that this album came out, even now whilst I’m writing this piece I’ve had to stop at least 20 times to just appreciate the music and some of the things that Alex is singing about. There’s also something magical about this album as well no matter how long or short its been since I last listened to it, I somehow find a new thing to love about it or I find a new line in a song that I appreciate more than I did than the last time I listened to it.

To me its an album that you cant seem to find one single thing wrong with, and I think Arctic Monkeys knew exactly what they were doing when they released it, this album was a starting point for them a year later they released they second album Favourite Worst Nightmare, then Humbug in 2009,Suck It And See in 2011 and finally they most recent album AM in 2013. All in all they knew I feel like they knew that this album would be the album that started they career and the album that made them the massive band that everyone knows and most certainly loves today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

Poppie's Stranded List.