How Prince Changed My Life.

Saying that someone has changed your life is a bit of a broad statement for someone that’s just turned eighteen two weeks ago, but that’s the only way I can phrase how important prince is to me, he will always have a place in my heart next to Bowie, I’m truly heartbroken that yet again one of my idols has left the world, I mean first Bowie and now Prince as if this year could get any worse, I’ve been a fan of prince for as long as I can remember but this piece isn’t going to be based around my thoughts on prince and the influence he’s had on me over the years, this piece is for the women who just so happens to be my mum or also known as the biggest prince fan I think I will ever know, before writing this is I spent at least half an hour on the phone to her just listening to her talk about prince and the influence he had on her life. So this is for my mum the biggest prince fan they ever was.

So it all started in 1980 something when she was twelve years old in the lovely south London borough of Tooting, she heard the song when doves cry and knew instantly that she needed this album and that album happened to be Purple Rain you know the one with that motorbike? And from then on my mum’s love for prince began; I’ve heard so many stories about prince and the influence he had on her, every album he released she brought, every show she could manage to go to she was there, but my favourite story of all was the day she met prince, I’ve heard this story so many times that I could probably tell you it in my sleep but it never bores me no matter times I hear it.


It was the early nineties this is when she worked at the famous Oriel bar in Sloane square which I so badly wished was still open, she had just finished lunch with a friend in Chelsea, this is when the Chelsea harbour hotel was being built, her taxi hadn’t had turned up so she decided to walk around the road a bit to meet said taxi, but at this time they was no pavement so she had to walk down a dirt road, when all of a sudden a black limo came speeding down the road, as she went to jump out of the way said limo run over her foot, I don’t know if anyone has ever had they foot ran over but its not the nicest best feeling in the world, his driver apologised to her profusely as she went to walk away something within in her made her go back and as she walked back low and behold sat all 5,2 of her hero Prince sat, now it wasn’t much of a conversation but I mean that’s what happens when you meet your idols take me meeting Pete Doherty two years as an example I don’t know I didn’t faint as soon as he said hello to me if I’m honest. Two minutes later and he was gone, and all these years later she still remembers that conversation and that is such a prime example of how much of an influence and impact prince had on people’s life from my mum who’s been a fan for over thirty years (sorry mum people are going to guess your age now) to literally any prince around the world he meant something different to everyone, its hard to say prince was just an artist because he wasn’t he was so many other things, he stands alone with music, personally when I think of prince I cant think of any artist that is similar to him because he was prince, no one compares to him, prince broke every barrier, every stigma prince broke it. I saw a tweet last night that perfectly sums up prince and I think it’s the perfect way to end this piece. So to prince my idol my everything rest in peace you beautiful and stupidly talented man thank you for the music you made and everything you did, it inspired me in so many ways and still does and I think always will the impact you had upon this world and me, I hope that you and bowie are both together. Now I’m off to listen to sign o the times and weep a little bit more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

I Re-watched Fleabag and now I cant stop crying