Mum's Stranded List.

Mum’s Stranded List.

I was wondering how many weeks it would take me to run out of ways to begin  these blog posts, turns it took me all of five weeks, brilliant, longer than I thought actually so pat on the back to me well done Libby.

On this week’s Stranded list we have the women that birthed me, all of them years ago, the women that still says she’s forty five when she’s really four years older than that (sorry mum I had to expose your actual age at some point you cant keep it up forever) as you can probably guess its my wonderful mother also known to everyone and myself timtam. And no her nickname isn’t due to the wonderful Australian chocolate bar Timtam’s or maybe it is I’m not actually sure where she got the nickname. When I asked her to take part in this, it took me all of six attempts to explain to her what it was before she turned to me, and said “oh okay so your mugging off the BBC”. My mum is not the sort of person to beat around the bush, (ha I didn’t laugh promise) she is the most realist, non shit talking person you will probably ever come across in the region of south London, the other most realistic person I know is located in east London.

Every story she’s told me prior to her life before I turned up two weeks late in the spring of 1998 using that classic labour method of eating a jalfrezi you know the one right? Rather than all them salmon and cream cheese bagels from the bagel shop on brick lane. All her stories including the one where she kicked Liam Gallagher out of her work for spraying a fire extinguish everywhere; and plus she’s pretty cool she has got a Keith Haring tattoo that I named the jellybean man at age four, her stories have always managed to amaze me, no matter what even, if she’s telling me a story about a man arguing with someone over the price of avocados in Waitrose, she’s always had a way with words and people, and her confidence to strike up a conversation with literally anyone still cease’s to amaze me ,even though its not all fun and games when its been twenty minutes and your going to miss the train and she’s now made a new best friend with someone called Bev who has a dog named Rev.

So without further or do here is my wonderfully brilliant mum’s stranded list, I hope you enjoy.

       Pop Life by Prince taken from the album Around The World In A Day.      This song was picked because it’s the most honest song that you will ever find by prince, or any artist for that matter, I’m such a huge prince fan as you know, plus its just such a great track.

Raspberry Beret by Prince taken from the album Around The World In A Day.   Of course I couldn’t just put one prince track in this list, there isn’t a prince song to me that isn’t great, apart from the batman soundtrack, we don’t talk about that, its such a happy song and I always find myself singing along to it, and always manages to make me smile no matter what (well more shouting about alright whatever you say mum.)

  Feeling Good by Nina Simone taken from the album I Put A Spell On You. This song is such a classic, I've grown up listening to Nina Simone, and things like her thanks to my dad, it always manages to make me smile whenever I hear it, and I was lucky enough to see Nina about a million years ago at Ronnie Scott’s and she was just as amazing as you would think.

 Toda Menina Baîana by Gilberto Gil taken from the album Realce I love this song, I first heard it on gl radio way back in the day when Gary Crowley was on it and when it was still going, and its always stuck with me ever since the first time I heard it plus is there a song that is happier than this?

 Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone by The Temptations taken from the album All Directions 
A lot of songs remind me of my dad, as he had such a varied taste in music which is probably where I get it from and where you get it from as well, but this song in particular really reminds me of him and plus its just a great soul song.

  Promised Land by Joe Smooth taken from the album Promised Land
I don’t really have much to say about this song apart from its one my favourite songs in the world and it reminds me of the early 90s before you arrived on the scene and liked putting spaghetti on your head and being obsessed with Phil Mitchell from Eastenders, it reminds me of my rave days and the club Troll that I always went to, it instantly makes me happy whenever I hear the first couple of chords.


BankRobber by The Clash taken from the album Hits back 
Much like the majority of the songs on this list, this song always reminds me of my dad and how I was introduced to the clash by him, I love to many clash songs and Joe Strummer until this day is one of my favourite singers, this song reminds me of when we lived in brixton, we didn’t live there for very long but this song reminds me of them times and riding my chopper everywhere.


 Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks taken from the album Something Else  
I picked this because my siblings and me grew up listening to this song, and whenever I walked past or I’m in Waterloo station it always makes me smile and reminds me of when we all used to listen to it, I think out of all of my brothers and sister I think this song stuck with me most.


English Rose by Paul Weller taken from the album Days Of Speed Whether he’s in The Jam or the style council or he’s releasing music by himself there’s not one thing I don’t like Paul Weller, from growing up listening to him in the jam, to listening to everything he’s done, this song to me never ages, it’s a timeless song and to this day the song makes me do a little cry just like the first time I heard it and hearing it live back in December broke my heart just a little bit.


That’s Entertainment by The Jam taken from the album Sound Affects After prince of course, Paul Weller is my second favourite person maybe ever, this song is of course a massive classic but it also reminds me of growing up in thatcher Britain and how hard it really was to just survive let alone have a life, and this song reminds me of a bad time and how things have gotten you know a little bit better now.

Question Time (don’t worry its not political) 

"   "So whilst your stranded in this place, you have three books to read what are they?"
Any Martina Cole book, I can’t pick what one they all good. Keith Haring by Jeffrey Deitch and Suzanne Geiss I picked this for obvious reasons. The Way we Wore by Robert Elms.


    
           "You have three luxury items to keep you occupied what are they?"
Wine-Torres Esmeralda to be picky because you can’t really be stranded without wine can you? I will be placing a Ocado order when it runs out. Cashmere blanket because I like a blanket and hate being cold. Neal’s Yard bubble bath any one will do they all smell like what I hope heaven smells like.


"Now you could be stranded for a while so what would your last supper be, it can be from anywhere or anything you want in the world.
Starter- scallops with pancetta and a pea puree.
Main- lobster firmadore with skinny fries and a green salad.
Desert- rhubarb crumble with vanilla custard because normal custard is a bit rank.

"If there was anyone in the world you could be stuck with in this place, dead or alive who would you pick and why?"
I would pick Tony Bennett because he could sing to me and his voice is one of my favorites, its oddly calming to me hence why you always hear me playing my way when I’m stressed out, or you’ve been quoting Goodfella’s for at least a week. The other person I pick is Amy Winehouse I don’t really have a reason for picking her apart from well its Amy Winehouse why would you not want to be stuck with on a desert island?

"If you could have any smell in the world bottled what would it be and why?"
Chanel coco mademoiselle it’s my favourite perfume and it’s just the best smell in the world.

Listen to the spotify playlist below (disclaimer some songs that have been picked are not on spotify and are the hardest thing to track down)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

I Re-watched Fleabag and now I cant stop crying