High As Hope album review

There's not many words to explain the array of emotions that Florence Welch can make me feel, let alone somehow write a review for her new album, high As Hope, that came out on Friday,so this should definitely be an interesting one.
Florence Welch or better known as Florence and the machine have been a BIG old part of my life, since i first heard kiss with a fist, in possibly the most iconic film of all time (wild child) and from then on i have been utterly obsessed, and High As Hope just reminds me of why, I adore her as much as I do.

Not many artists can make me feel the things that Florence can make me feel, I mean nine times out of ten,her words get me right where I don't want them too, and I'm a big old sobbing mess,she is a true poet and wordsmith, any song of hers can make me pin point a certain point in my life, she makes me feel what she feels, she can make me feel nostalgic for things that haven't even happened yet, there's something about her that I've never been able to pinpoint about her, which is probably why two minutes into the new album I was already a mess.

  Not that I needed reminding but this album just redefines my absolute admiration and love for Florence, it reminds me of the first time that I listened to Lungs the whole way though and was so emotionally drained' that I couldn't listen to it for at least three months, I mean it was obvious when she released Hunger and i watched her performance, at the biggest weekend in Swansea, that this album would be one of her best, and that it would make me a big old emotional wreck,but then again she could sing a cover of twinkle twinkle little star, and it would make me sob, plus for the first time in a long time, there's not really one song on this album that i don't like, but I mean again Florence makes it impossible to not like any of her work.

Of course like any album there's songs that stick out to me more than others, but in every song there's a beat, or a lyric,or a verse that stick outs to me,and I have to stop and listen again, because how can one person make me feel so many things? Florence has always been amazing at being able to take her audience on a journey, with her music and you can really feel it with this album, but especially on tracks like Grace (my personal favourite) South London Forever,100 years and The End of Love. There's something about Grace that I haven't been able to pin point since I heard it, but it really hits me in places I did not want to be hit,for example these lyrics from the first verse proper got me "I'm sorry I ruined your birthday, guess I could go back to university, try and make my mother proud" HIT ME WHERE I SHOULD NOT BE HIT.

South London Forever makes me feel nostalgic for a time I wasn't even apart of, but i know i want to go back to holding hands with someone that i just met high on e, outside the joiners arm's. And here's something I thought i would never say but it makes me want to go back to when I was sixteen and i did all the things you aren't meant to be doing, it makes me want to relive the best and worst time of my life,it makes me nostalgic for a time i thought I would never miss. Again with 100 years it makes me feel about a hundred things in four minutes, and the fact she uses the same metaphor that she uses in "Hardest of hearts" ( we don't care if it hurts when we're holding too hurt) again makes me a emotional wreck.

Just like every other love song that Florence has wrote the end of love has managed to break, and fix in my own heart in a small amount of time, the end of love has the same sentiment as hunger, which probably explains why when the first time i heard it, i had to stop for a minute and take it in, if the calming piano doesn't make you love this song then Florence's words,will definitely make you want to curl up into a ball and cry for a bit,just like with the way Grace makes me feel, The End Of Love, takes me too places that i haven't thought was possible for a long old time.

The last song on the album No Choir,again is a song that shouldn't make me feel the things that it does, but hey i am sat in my garden watching the sunset, feeling calmer than I've ever felt, even though everything that's happening around me suggests otherwise. The opening verse is enough to make anyone feel everything "and its hard to write about being happy cause the older i get, I find that happiness is an extremely uneventful subject". Which again is something that has hit me right in my heart, in fact everything she's saying in this track, relates to not only me but pretty much a whole generation ,its also impossible not to do an "oh fuck' when she sings "and if tomorrow its all over, at least we had it for a moment, oh darling things seem so unstable, but for a moment we were able to be still".

Overall the album has been out two days now and its taken me on a whirlwind of emotions already,which is what I kind of expected, because like I said before Florence has that odd affect on me,an effect where she can make me cry at any given moment, so god knows what I'm going to be like when I see her in November.

Let me know your thoughts in the album over on twitter @gothicpeachh 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mum's Stranded List.

Why “Reggie Yates Life And Death In Chicago” is so important.

Albums Of The Year.