The Stranded List: Ruthie

The Stranded List: Ruthie

On this weeks addition of the Stranded List we have the Bowie to my Jagger, the Yoda to my Luke, the Kate to my Naomi, and the Ant to my Dec, yeah you get the picture. Its my wonderful best friend Ruthie, and even though I met her only earlier this year (on bowie’s birthday in a Starbucks may I add) we are pretty much inseparable and when I asked her whether or not, she wanted to do this for me she didn’t even hesitate, I mean its probably because I offered her alcohol and coffee in return but that’s not the point.

If I’m rather honest I’m not really sure why I asked Ruthie to do this for me because I was convinced she would choose Smash Mouth for all ten songs or the Rent soundtrack but surprisingly she pulled through with a wonderful list and I must say all the songs she’s picked remind me of her in one way or another, so without further a do here is Ruthies addition of The Stranded List.

1.   Stereotypes by Blur taken from the album The Great Escape
This is one of my favourite songs ever purely because Blur were always one of the bands I thought I’d never see live. I actually managed to see them live in 2015 at Hyde Park. They didn’t put this song on the main set but it was the first song on the encore and I danced my little socks off.

2.   You’re Breakin’ My Heart by Harry Nilsson taken from the album Son Of Schmilsson  
I chose this song because I’ve learned the dance from Girls that they do to this song. It also reminds me of the Friday afternoons lib and me spent together in Starbucks watching Girls together on my laptop, I also love that it blatantly says “Fuck You” in the song.

3.   Fame by David Bowie taken from the album Young Americans                                                                                                                THIS IS SUCH A FUCKING GROOVY SONG. Its like peak Bowie, no that’s a lie because every Bowie is peak Bowie (apart from that one time in the 90’s that we don’t speak of) but every time I put this one song on I cant help but dance, its just the nasally FAAAAAAAAAAAAME that does it for me.

4.   Dancing On My Own by Robyn taken from the album Body Talk Pt.1 What an empowering song. The Lyrics are so sad but so powerful. Again its another song that I can dance to so easily, it always makes me feel a bit better no matter what.


5.   Standing In The Way Of Control By Gossip taken from the album Standing In the Way Of Control  I fucking love Beth Ditto and this song, is such an anthem. Its loud, its gay, and its got an amazing riff, whenever I hear this on the radio or on the telly I  just have to crank it up.


6.   Filthy/Gorgeous by Scissor sisters taken from the album Scissor Sisters                                                                                                Never in my life have I heard a song that is more proud to be gay than this. This song is just a massive “fuck yes you can” to the gay community. Also the Scissor Sisters are such an amazing band, I definitely have a crush on Ana Matronic.


7.   Vienna by Billy Joel taken from the album The Stranger                                                                                                                          I chose this song for sentimental value really. Billy Joel was one of my grandmother’s favourite singers, I remember standing in her living room in front of her hospital bed singing this song to her. I listened to it a lot after her death in a way it just made me feel closer to her.


8.   Black Skinhead by Kanye West taken from the album Yeezus                   Now if anyone knows me you will know how much I love Kanye (I can confirm this is true the first day I met her she informed me of her love for this song and Kanye.) This song is so fucking relevant about racism in today’s society, it’s punchy and brash and the distortion is so brilliant.


9.   Marquee Moon by Television taken from the album Marquee Moon                                                                                               Television were one of the first punk bands I got in to. This song is probably one of my favourite songs ever, it’s such a beautiful song and I always end up listening to it late at night and it’s truly magical, it makes you think of the people you love.


10. Rock ‘N’ Roll Suicide by David Bowie taken from the album The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust This song is the most important song to me ever. It was the song that told me that it would all be okay because I’m not alone and there are people out there who will get it and who will love me, it’s a beautiful song by a beautiful being.


Question time (don’t worry its not political)
1.” So whilst your stranded in this place anywhere in the world you have three books to read what are they?”  Richard by Ben Myers, How To Build A Girl by Caitlin Moran and Just Kids by Patti Smith.

2.” You have three luxury items to keep you occupied what are they?”
 A pencil case and some paper to keep me occupied and in case I get any good ideas whilst I’m stuck, and a flask of coffee because I just really like coffee.

3.”Now you could be stranded for a while so what would your last supper be?,It can be from anywhere or anything you want in the world”.
My starter would be a salt beef bagel with pickles and loads of mustard, then my main dish would be a chicken shish kebab with a pound of donor meat, cheesy chips with salad and a shit ton of burger sauce, then finally for dessert would be a big old hash brownie (her words not mine) with vanilla ice cream, nuts and sauce.

4.” If there was anyone in the world you could be stuck with in this place, dead or alive who would you pick and why?”
Yannis from foals because I can convince him were the last people on earth and reproduce with him, or Brian Molko because well he is Brian Molko and he’s my lad, plus I think he would be really funny and have good stories to tell me.

5.” If you could any smell in the world bottled what would it be and why?”
I would have Calvin Klein’s euphoria perfume because my mum wears it and I just think it would be a nice smell to have because it would remind me of Julie (shout out to Julie my lad)

Listen to the Spotify playlist below


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

I Re-watched Fleabag and now I cant stop crying