An essay on why Sofia Coppola is the true og.

Sofia Coppola. The women who brought us Lost In Translation,The Virgin Suicides,Somewhere,The Bling Ring,Marie Antoinette, and now the wonder that is the  beguiled. I've loved literally anything Sofia has ever done (including bling ring and let me tell you its not good) for such a long time its stupid, I couldn't be in more love with her work and the way she sees thing's,if I tried. But I mean its hard not to be given she's from the most talented family maybe ever, given her dad is the one and only Francis ford, and her brother is roman who's worked on pretty much every Wes Anderson film ever,like how can one family be so talented?

Its hard to pinpoint why I love Sofia and her work,because its nit just one thing that drew me to her,its a multitude,a bit like my love for frank ocean,there's too many things that I love. The first film I ever saw of her's, thanks to finding her through her ex husband spike Jonze,(it still baffles me that he makes jackass?) As cliche as it is both the film and what I'm about to say, the virgin suicides, was a film that changed everything for me,from the way I viewed everything, from growing up, music, mental health although i am fully aware that it ever so slightly romanticises mental health and suicide, it changed my view on so many things. Although I discovered this film at a time where everything was ever so slightly shite,and I was getting to grips with a lot of things that i still dint hundred percent understand, four years later,but none the less I'm still so happy I found her.

It doesn't matter how i feel or whatever has happened that day,week,whatever ten minutes into lost or translation or somewhere and suddenly everything is great again she has thus magic about her,where she draws people into whatever is happening so quickly, and apart from two other directors I don't think anyone else,does that for me. There's so many things that i love about Sofia and her work, one of them being she let's the work speak for itself she doesn't have to explain, because everything is just there,particularly in lost in translation from the soundtrack,to the cinematography,the storyline and of course bill and scarlet,being the babes that both of them are. Sofia makes me feel about twenty different emotions in such a small amount of time, and then pair the dialogue with the cinematography and I'm hooked.

There's something so captivating about her work and the way she creates things and after all this time I still can't work out what it is, that I adore so much, but once you've watched one film you kinda have to watch the rest of them,a bit like the jackass films for how dumb they are if I watch one I have to watch all of them. I feel so close to to these characters and the life's she has created for them,they almost feel too real like these feelings and problems are also my problems,and plus if you feel so lost and confused about pretty much everything happening around you and in your life why not do it in Tokyo? She has such an air and magic about her, that its just hard not to feel touched by the things and people she has created.

Although I haven't seen the beguiled yet, and I've seen minimal clips of the film I still know its going to be a masterpiece and that I'm going to cry at least five times,because Kristen Dunst and Nicole Kidman in the same film is like a dream come true to me,and considering the last film Sofia made was the Bling ring,and lets just say I was ever so slightly disappointed by it,I feel that this film has a lot of pressure surrounding it,and that knowing Sofia it will be one of the best films of the year and will be nominated for every award going, not forgetting that she is the second female director to win best director at Cannes film festival, the last female,director being in 1961, which is ever so slightly insane to me.

If I wasn't for fifteen year old Libby discovering the virgin suicides and watching three times in a row because someone was a tad obsessed with it I wouldn't have found my favourite director and probably would still have awful taste in films,Sofia and her work opened up so many gateways for me,she was also the person that helped me realise that I wanted to make my own films and to hopefully one day have my work talked abiut and viewed in the same way her films are,but ovbiosuly they won't be anywhere near as incredbike and touching as her things are because there is no one quite like Sofia Coppola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part One Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost review.

Albums Of The Year.

I Re-watched Fleabag and now I cant stop crying